Seed Saving Workshop
Saturday, June 9, 20
9am – 1pm
Seed Saving plus Advanced Plant Breeding Workshop
Saturday, June 9, 2012 9am – 3pm
Located at The Plant, 220 Lorax Lane, Pittsboro, NC. For directions, click here.
Join farmer Doug Jones for a primer on seed saving with an option to stay another two hours for advanced seed saving. Learn how to use the gift that keeps on giving!
- Hands-On Demonstration of Simple Seed Saving
- Techniques-salad greens, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers & more!
- Basic Botany useful for success in seed production: self-pollinators vs cross-pollinators
- How to improve and adapt varieties to local conditions
- Variety recommendations from our trials
- Go home with a few seeds to plant in your own garden
- Advanced – techniques for processing tricky seeds like lettuce, leeks, chard, and radishes.
- Advanced – Selecting for specific traits aligned with the goals of your farm or garden.
Registration limited to 20 people age fifteen or older unless accompanied by a parent
$40 – Basic Seed Saving Workshop 9am to 1pm – bring your lunch
$50 – Advanced Seed Saving Workshop 9am to 3pm – bring your lunch
Call 919-533-5181 or Email email@example.com
Doug Jones has been growing organic vegetables and saving seeds for more than three decades. He has done variety trials for Seeds of Change and plant breeding to develop superior varieties for the Piedmont Region.
He opened a year-round farm on the bountiful fields of Piedmont Biofarm and operates a CSA at The Plant where the seed saving workshop will be held. Doug attended Harvard, taught at Central Carolina Community College and has practiced his art with food production for thirty-nine years.
Doug was named Farmer of the Year by Carolina Farm Stewardship Association in 2009.
Sign up for Piedmont Biofarm’s CSA here.